Lie to Me August 16--The Fan Girl Review



How I have missed you Lie to Me. It has been a couple of weeks too long since I have last seen Cal and the team.

This was an excellent episode of Lie to Me. It had a great combination of drama, suspense and humor.

The premise of this episode was interesting:

Tonight's episode finds Cal revisiting a case from his past and he finds that it affects the one person in the world he wants to protect the most: his daughter.

Interesting start to this episode. A man being executed for murdering a child making a deathbed statement denying the murder. The thing is: Cal believes him, but cannot get hold of the governor in time to stop the execution.

This case was Cal's first case that led to an execution and his ex-wife, Zoe was the prosecutor for the case.

Cal knows this guy lied during the trial, but was telling the truth at the execution.Cal wants to know why.

The FBI receives a new telephone message that is an exact voice match to the same messages that the killer sent 17 years ago. This time, they are going to the uncle of the first little boy that was killed. Now Zoe and Cal BOTH want to know if they helped convict an innocent man.

This episode shows Cal at his eccentric best. If I know one thing about Cal, it's the fact that he will do anything he has to in order to get to the truth of the matter. He is a non-medical House. Boy, that just makes me start jonesing for a House/Lie to Me cross over. Have to ponder that one awhile... Cal vs. House.

But I digress...

Cal gets so bat-shit crazy over this case, and everyone else starts doubting his decision making so much, that the FBI actually kicks him off the case. Yeah, like that's going to work. As Cal tries to explore a lead involving a former girlfriend who inexplicably checked herself into a psych ward, Agent Reynolds said Cal was looking crazy. Only Cal would think to use that to exchange to get himself admitted into the same psych facility in order to talk with the girlfriend.

And only Cal would have to rely on Zoe to help get him back out. Watching Cal try to get out after finding out the information he needed was the funniest part of the night.

The most drama of tonight came to Cal through Emily. One thing no bad guy wants to do is threaten the kid. That will bring down a beat down if EPIC proportions from our man, Cal. I really love seeing Cal in Daddy Bear form; those scenes are equally funny and touching and the viewer really learns a lot about Cal from these scenes.

Fortunately, it was a false alarm... but it was enough to piss him off mega-bad.

I will admit, I called the bad guy tonight. As soon as the guy made his first appearance in the episode, I knew he would be the baddie for the evening.

I have to admit, there is one small thing I miss with this show: the study of truth telling and lies. I haven't seen much of that lately; and I always found that one of the more unique aspects of the show. Watching Cal bust a liar is always fun to watch... and I want to see MORE, dammit!!!

Tonight's episode... very good. Had a pretty good combination of elements and the story was interesting. As always, Tim Roth makes this show. This fan-girl is happy that Tim is on TV.


Tuesday and Wednesday, we have another special week of America's Got Talent. You know I'll be there with bells on.

Til Then!
Alexis-Rueal
(fan girl confessor)

1 comments:

Hyperion said...

I watched it for the first time tonight. Can't say it grabbed me, but it was (as you say) an atypical episode, so I'm willing to give it another shot. Good review!