2010 Emmy Nominations















I didn’t watch as much TV this last season, so I don’t have as much informed opinion about the Emmy Nominations (and shockingly, I do try to know a little bit on what I’m talking about), but here are the Emmy nominations with any initial thoughts I had.  TV Warrior will have more on this as the Ceremony gets closer.  








2010 Emmy Nominations







Best Comedy Series:
"30 Rock"
"Curb Your Enthusiasm"
"Glee"
"Modern Family"
"Nurse Jackie"
"The Office"


My Thoughts: I’ve never seen American version of The Office, though everyone I talk to is high on it. I have seen the first season of 30 Rock and loved it, though I heard the latest wasn’t so great. I liked Modern Family, though not as much as some people.  The critics like it, though, so it will be interesting to see if it has enough power to stop the Glee Juggernaut (Gleegernaut?) My main thought here is that Archer got screwed over.  I thought that show was hilarious. At the very least they need an animated category.  Ugly Americans was a good new animated cartoon too, if not quite as good.  The worst?  Neighbors from Hell.










Lead Actress in a Comedy:
Lea Michele, "Glee"
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "The New Adventures of Old Christine"
Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie"
Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"
Tina Fey, "30 Rock"
Toni Collette, "The United States of Tara"









Lead Actor in a Comedy:
Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory"
Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm"
Matthew Morrison, "Glee"
Tony Shalhoub, "Monk"
Steve Carell, "The Office"
Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"


My Thoughts:  I haven’t seen every performance here, but I’m going out on a limb and predicting that nothing touches Adrian Monk’s final season.  I haven’t seen that much laughter and pain since Hawkeye Pierce.  I miss you, Adrian!








Reality Competition Series:
"The Amazing Race"
"American Idol"
"Dancing With the Stars"
"Project Runway"
"Top Chef"





Variety, Music or Comedy Series:
"The Colbert Report"
"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart"
"Real Time with Bill Maher"
"Saturday Night Live"
"The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien"
My Thoughts: This is friggin’ ridiculous.  The whole reason O’Brien got cancelled is because no one watched, because he sucked at his new gig.  Even his biggest supporters admitted he wasn’t himself. He gained some sympathy at the end, but to give him an Emmy Nomination?  Everyone who nominated him should have their vote permanently rescinded.  Also, why was Chelsea Lately not nominated?  








Miniseries:
"The Pacific"
"Return to Cranford (Masterpiece)"




Made for Television Movie:
"Endgame (Masterpiece)"
"Georgia O'Keeffe"
"Moonshot"
"The Special Relationship"
"Temple Grandin"
"You Don't Know Jack"







Lead Actor in a Drama:
Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
Michael C. Hall, "Dexter"
Kyle Chandler, "Friday Night Lights"
Hugh Laurie, "House"
Matthew Fox, "Lost"
Jon Hamm, "Mad Men"
My Thoughts: Every year the Lead Actor Drama is the Creme de la Creme of Categories, and this year is no different.  I got behind on Lost (still in Season 3), but I have a hard time buying Matthew Fox is that awesome. (Though my brother Achmed says he’s the best actor on the show by the end, but Achmed is a little crazy.)  It would be nice for Hugh Laurie to finally win an Emmy, but it’s hard to argue against any of these guys.  What a killer killer category.  












Lead Actress in a Drama:
Kyra Sedgwick, "The Closer"
Glenn Close, "Damages"
Connie Britton, "Friday Night Lights"
Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
Mariska Hargitay, "Law & Order: SVU"
January Jones, "Mad Men"
My Thoughts: I’m sorry, but Mariska Hargitay stopped being great 3 seasons ago.  When will people notice?  It’s no longer enough just to be hot.  That’s the thing about the Emmy’s, though: Once they like the actors they keep nominating them. (Conversely, once a show’s star has faded, it’s usually not heard from again.)  If these six are the best Women’s roles in Television, TV needs more women writers.  How do these characters compare with the Murderer’s Row of the Men’s category?  Sheesh.  











Drama Series:
"Breaking Bad"
"Dexter"
"The Good Wife"
"Lost"
"Mad Men"
"True Blood"



My Thoughts:  The Good Wife?  Over House?  Over Treme?  I’ve never seen it, but I have never heard one person say anything even remotely praiseworthy about it.  Is The Good Wife really all that?  (BTW: Teresa has been Killing her True Blood recaps. Check 'em out.)








Supporting Actor in a Comedy:
Chris Colfer, "Glee"
Neil Patrick Harris, "How I Met Your Mother"
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, "Modern Family"
Eric Stonestreet, "Modern Family"
Ty Burrell, "Modern Family"
Jon Cryer, "Two and a Half Men"



My Thoughts: I don’t know who any of the dudes are on Modern Family, but only the goofy dad is good enough to be nominated. I’m suspicious.  Jon Cryer’s nomination is a joke, but I’ve never found him anything but unfunny.  None of it matters, though: does anyone seriously think NPH isn’t a shoe-in?












Supporting Actress in a Comedy:
Jane Lynch, "Glee"
Julie Bowen, "Modern Family"
Sofia Vergara, 'Modern Family"
Kristen Wiig, "Saturday Night Live"
Jane Krakowski, "30 Rock"
Holland Taylor, "Two and a Half Men



My Thoughts: I would have ten million of Jany Lynch’s babies, so I may be a little biased, but these other chicks can’t wear her panties!








Supporting Actor in a Drama:
Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad"
Martin Short, "Damages"
Terry O'Quinn, "Lost"
Michael Emerson, "Lost"
John Slattery, "Mad Men"
Andre Braugher, "Men of a Certain Age"



My Thoughts:  I don’t know enough about these performances to say much but I had to point out that from my knowledge Martin Short should never be nominated for anything but an all-day enema.  What is the world coming to?












Supporting Actress in a Drama:
Sharon Gless, "Burn Notice"
Rose Byrne, "Damages"
Archie Panjabi, "The Good Wife"
Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife"
Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men"
Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men"



My Thoughts:  Let’s be honest, it really should read “Christina Hendricks’s Tits” - don’t hate; you know that’s what got the nomination.  




Guest Actor in a Comedy:
Mike O'Malley, "Glee"
Neil Patrick Harris, "Glee"
Fred Willard, "Modern Family"
Eli Wallach, "Nurse Jackie"
Jon Hamm, "30 Rock"
Will Arnett, "30 Rock"




Guest Actress in a Comedy:
Christine Baranski, "The Big Bang Theory"
Kathryn Joosten, "Desperate Housewives"
Kristin Chenoweth, "Glee"
Tina Fey, "Saturday Night Live"
Betty White, "Saturday Night Live"
Elaine Stritch, "30 Rock"
Jane Lynch, "Two and a Half Men"










Guest Actor in a Drama:
Beau Bridges, "The Closer"
Ted Danson, "Damages"
John Lithgow, "Dexter"
Alan Cumming, "The Good Wife"
Robert Morse, "Mad Men"
Gregory Itzin, "24"



My Thoughts: So John Lithgow, who everyone says is Ah-May-Zing in Dexter, is a “Guest Actor” and not Supporting, and he’s in along with people who were only in one episode of their shows?  I don’t like this.  At the very least, Guest Actor Emmy’s should be much smaller than people who have been there the whole time.  




Guest Actress in a Drama:
Mary Kay Place, "Big Love"
Sissy Spacek, "Big Love"
Shirley Jones, "The Cleaner"
Lily Tomlin, "Damages"
Ann-Margret, "Law & Order: SVU"
Elizabeth Mitchell, "Lost"










Outstanding Host for a Reality, Reality-Competition Program:
Phil Keoghan, "The Amazing Race"
Ryan Seacrest, "American Idol"
Tom Bergeron, "Dancing With the Stars"
Heidi Klum, "Project Runway"
Jeff Probst, "Survivor"



My Thoughts:  Things I would rather do than be a Host of a Reality Competition: be raped to death and then eaten by pit bulls: give up beef jerky forever, be intimate with Martin Short. (Yes, I know that picture of Heidi Klum is 15 years old. DON'T HATE!)








Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie:
Jeff Bridges, "A Dog Year"
Ian McKellen, "The Prisoner"
Michael Sheen, "The Special Relationship"
Dennis Quaid, "The Special Relationship"
Al Pacino, "You Don't Know Jack"



My Thoughts: I don’t know anything about any performance in this category, but I will bet ANYONE $20 sight unseen that Al Pacino wins. I’ll even give odds.  




Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie:
Maggie Smith, "Capturing Mary"
Joan Allen, "Georgia O'Keeffe"
Dame Judi Dench, "Return to Cranford"
Hope Davis, "The Special Relationship"
Claire Danes, "Temple Grandin"




Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie:
Michael Gambon, "Emma (Masterpiece)"
Patrick Stewart, "Hamlet"
Jonathan Pryce, "Return to Cranford"
David Strathairn, "Temple Grandin"
John Goodman, "You Don't Know Jack"






Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie:
Kathy Bates, "Alice"
Julia Ormond, "Temple Grandin"
Catherine O'Hara, "Temple Grandin"
Brenda Vaccaro, "You Don't Know Jack"
Susan Sarandon, "You Don't Know Jack"



My Thoughts: Looking at these last two categories, it’s all heavyweight actors, and then....John Goodman?  Well, I guess he’s a heavyweight too, in his own way.  



Selah.






0 comments: